Volunteer in your Spare Time
Open Your Heart receives almost all funds from individuals and uses social media as a way to get more donors without diverting funds from agencies to fundraising. Any of the below actions helps Open Your Heart spread awareness and involve more people in our mission!
- Like our Page (wwwfacebook.com/oyheart)
- Like a Page posting
- Share a Page posting
- Send a Page posting with message to friends
- Comment on a Page posting
- Post your own article on the Page
- Invite your friends to like our page!
- Include OYH information in your Profile
- Join our Group (Open Your Heart to the Hungry and Homeless) (http://www.linkedin.com/groups/Open-Your-Heart-Hungry-Homeless-2973213)
- Like a Group discussion
- Share a Group update with contacts
- Comment on a Group discussion
- Start a group discussion
- Forward Group to a contact
- Sign up here!
- Forward newsletters to friends through email or Facebook
- Send Events and News in Hunger and Homelessness to Ruby Simmons (email@example.com)
- Facebook help site: http://www.facebook.com/help/
- LinkedIn help site: http://learn.linkedin.com/
- Contact Ruby (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Volunteer by Throwing a House Party
Like to party? Like to raise money for a good cause? Throw a house party!
Hosting an Open Your Heart House Party brings awareness and raises funds for people who are hungry and homeless in our community.
Who do you invite? Your family, friends, neighbors, coworkers, friends of friends, anyone you want!
Where do you hold it? Your home or wherever you would like to host the event (library, church basement, community center, bowling alley, etc.)
What would you need to do? You are responsible for cost of location, invitations, and food/beverages. OYH can provide background materials on the organization (e.g. brochures, video, and signs), help through the process, and a speaker!
Interested in learning more? Contact Ruby Simmons at email@example.com.
Volunteer on a Committee
Open Your Heart is supported by a robust committee structure that includes staff, members of the Board of Directors and other volunteers. Committees typically meet every other month or once per month to discuss strategies that will help Open Your Heart have a greater impact on hunger and homelessness. Committee members also work individually and in groups to carry these plans into action. This is an excellent opportunity to develop strategic planning and leadership skills, network with professionals in multiple sectors and make an impact on hunger and homelessness in Minnesota.
- Fund Development and Outreach Committee: Increases the visibility of Open Your Heart and of hunger and homelessness issues through a wide variety of communications strategies and works to build more robust funding sources for Open Your Heart by developing and implementing fundraising strategies, identifying potential grant funding sources and engaging with current donors.
- Finance Committee: Oversees the finances of the organization.
- Grant Review Committee: Oversees all aspects of Open Your Heart’s grant programs, including establishing grant criteria, developing tools for data collection and evaluation, reviewing grant applications and completing grant auditing.
If you are interested in serving on the Board of Directors or one of the Committees listed above, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. We would love to hear from you!
Volunteer in the Community
Open Your Heart does not work directly with people experiencing hunger and homelessness. However, many of the agencies we partner with and support rely on volunteers to keep programs running smoothly and meet everyone’s needs. Visit one of the following websites or call us to find opportunities to make an impact on hunger and homelessness in your area: