We have changed the funding priority for this grant. After much consideration and conversations with the community, we have decided that providing discretionary funds, as opposed to funding for specific items, would best serve the diverse needs of homeless students.
Education grants support the educational needs of children and youth experiencing homelessness.
Since 1996, Open Your Heart to the Hungry and Homeless (OYH) has made a portion of its funding available for education-related needs of children and youth without permanent homes. The purpose of this program is to remove barriers for homeless youth to participate in school and to improve student academic success.
MISSION: Open Your Heart to the Hungry and Homeless believes that every Minnesotan should be free from hunger and homelessness. We make an impact by partnering with those who serve people in need, growing donor engagement, and increasing awareness.
We have updated our submission portal. Please contact Ruby Simmons at [email protected] with any issues or feedback. Thank you for being patient during this transition! If you used your email to apply for the Education Grant in 2017 you will have to reset your password by clicking “Forgot Password?” after you click on the link below.
Click here to enter the application portal: https://webportalapp.com/sp/oyh_educationgrant
• Please read all of the Education Grant guidelines on this page before starting your application.
• You do not need to complete the application in one setting, there is a save option. It is not, however, automatic. Please remember to click “Save Draft” at the bottom of the application before closing the site.
• You will not be able to submit the application until all required questions are answered.
• If you applied to Open Your Heart for an Education Grant or Hunger and Homeless Grant in 2017, you will need to reset your password by using the ‘Forgot password?’ button on the login page with email you used to login in 2017. Once you do that you will be able to use the same login for all of our grants and will not need to reset your password again.
If you have any problems with the online application or have any questions, please contact Ruby Simmons at [email protected]
You will be asked to upload the following documents within the application.
• Fiscal Year Financial Statement Required. Your most recently completed fiscal year statement. This is different than your audit; however you may pull this statement from your audit. This should include your budget, income, expenses, and funds in reserve.
• Year-to-Date Financial Statement Required. This should include your budget, income, expenses, and funds in reserve.
• IRS Determination Letter If applicable. With signature page. If you are using a fiscal agent, include their IRS Determination Letter.
• Most Recent Audit or 990 Only required if your agency files one.
May 21st, 2018 at 11:59pm.
$500 – $3,000 for each agency per year. (Hunger and Homeless Grants and other Special Projects are considered under a separate review process and do not count toward this limit.)
• Agencies must serve homeless students in Minnesota.
• Agencies must have 501(c)(3) status OR be recognized as tax exempt by the IRS (i.e. schools, units of government or tribal governments) OR use a fiscal agent with 501(c)(3) status.
• Organizations must not limit service based on individual’s race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, age, or disability.
• Agencies with multiple service sites should submit only one application for all sites.
Discretionary funds designated to meet unique needs of homeless students as they arise.
This funding is available only for purposes that will assist homeless youth in their educational pursuits. Typical uses for discretionary funds might include school supplies, books, uniforms, and activity costs, but could be anything that the grantee thinks a homeless child needs to be successful in school.
Ineligible activities include operating costs, salaries (except for tutoring), employee benefits, and agency-sponsored after-school activities (aside from tutoring and other academic programs).
The Grant Review Committee reviews applications and makes recommendations to the Board of Directors. Only complete applications emailed or postmarked by May 21st, 2018 will be reviewed by the committee. Applicants are not allowed to make personal presentations.
The committee uses the following criteria to review applications:
• Eligibility of agency
• Number of homeless students served by agency
• Need and impact of funding
• Completeness of application
The OYH Board of Directors considers the Grant Review Committee’s recommendations and makes the final decision on each complete application. The Board reserves the right to reject any application or portion thereof.
Check the OYH website in late June for the complete list of newly approved Education Grants. Decision notifications will be sent by email by July 1st and decision notification letters and grant checks will be distributed in July and August.
Agencies that have previously received Education Grant funding from OYH must complete the grant closure requirements for all prior grants before receiving additional funding.
CLOSING YOUR GRANT
Your agency agrees to follow OYH requirements for closing out its grant by submitting the application.
The Closure Form will ask for a list of items purchased with this grant. The tracking sheet is available for download below.
If you are awarded a grant, your agency will receive a Closure Form. By completing this Closure Form, your agency is assuring OYH that your organization has spent the grant funds in accordance with your original request. The form also states that your agency is required to return any unspent funds. The form must be returned to OYH by the date indicated on the form in order for your agency to be in compliance with OYH grant requirements. If your agency does not return the form, this may jeopardize the agency’s eligibility for future funding from OYH.
If you have already received an education grant from Open Your Heart in 2016 or before and have misplaced your grant closeout materials, you may download the appropriate file below.
If you have already received an education grant from Open Your Heart in 2017 or after you may download the following grant tracking sheet. A grant closure survey will also be sent to you by email when you have used all of your funds.
Education Grant Funds Tracking Sheet: OYH Education Grant Tracking Form
STILL NEED ASSISTANCE?
Contact Ruby Simmons at 612-338-5577 or [email protected]