At Open Your Heart to the Hungry and Homeless our primary goal is to ensure that front line providers of crisis services have the tools, equipment, and infrastructure necessary to carry out their work. While we continuously support homeless shelters, domestic violence shelters and food shelves throughout the state of Minnesota, we do not provide direct supportive services. If you or someone you know is in need of help, please visit one of the resources below. If you are unable to find what you need on this page, please contact us at [email protected] or call us at 612-338-5577.
Severe cold warming options
When the temperature or wind-chill become dangerously low, these places are open during specified hours. Everyone is welcome.
If you are in physical danger of freezing, contact 911.
- Check the current temperature
- Learn how Metro Transit can help you get to these locations
- Learn about overnight emergency shelter options
Oasis for Youth (ages 16-24 only)
- 2200 West Old Shakopee Road
- Open Monday–Friday, 2–5 p.m.
- Metro Transit bus routes 539, 597, 535
Brooklyn United Methodist Church
- 7200 Brooklyn Boulevard
- Open Monday–Thursday, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m., at 0° or colder
- Metro Transit bus route 723
Mt. Olive Lutheran Church
- 3045 Chicago Avenue
- Open 9 a.m. to 3 p.m., at 10° or colder. Enter through the door on Chicago Avenue under the awning.
- Metro Transit bus routes 5, 21, 53, 39.
Salvation Army – Harbor Light Center
- 1010 Currie Avenue
- Open seven days a week, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Open at 32° or colder
- Bus routes 9, 20
Catholic Charities – Adult Opportunity Center
- 740 – 17th Street East
- Open Monday-Saturday, 7 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Metro Transit bus routes 2, 5, 9, 14
Peace House Community
- 1816 Portland Avenue South
- Open weekdays, 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Metro Transit bus route 9
House of Charity – Food Centre
- 714 Park Avenue South
- Open weekdays, noon to 4 p.m. when windchill is at 0 degrees or lower
- Public meals from noon to 1 p.m. every weekday no matter the temperature
- Bus routes 5, 14, 19, 94 (Express), C line
- Light rail: Blue Line and Green Line – U.S. Bank Stadium Station (0.2 mile walk)
Hennepin County Government Center
- 300 – 6th Street South (public areas on levels A, 1 and skyway)
- Open Monday-Friday 6 a.m. to 10 p.m., Saturday 9:30 a.m. to 8 p.m., and Sunday noon–6 p.m.
- Green and blue light rail lines and Metro Transit bus routes 3, 7, 5, 14, 19, 22, 535, 724